2 Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
God has given us awesome promises for us to cherish, however, the phrase “partakers of” (Greek: Koinonos) means “brought into fellowship with”. Therefore, the purpose of God’s promises is to have us fellowship with Him; to bring us close to Him.
When God keeps us safe (as He promises) He does so to draw us closer to Him. When God provides for our needs, He does it to strengthen our relationship with Him. When we focus on the provision instead of The Provider we miss the whole point of the promise.
When Jesus fed the 5000 in the wilderness, (John 6:1-14) most of them were amazed at this great miracle and sought to make Him King of Judea (John 6:15). But, when Jesus revealed his true mission of redemption through His death, they became disillusioned and left Him (John 6:41-66). They wanted Him as King of their needs instead of King of their hearts.
The focus of God’s promises is The Promiser and the relationship he wants to have with us (the promis-ees). As we consider His promises to us, let us respond to His great love for us and fellowship with Him.
Here are a few of God’s Awesome Promises that He gave us because of His Great LOVE for us:
- “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ” ~Philippians 1:6
- “…I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.” ~Joshua 1:5b
- “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” ~Jeremiah 33:3
- “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” ~Jeremiah 29:13
- “For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper.” ~Psalm 72:12