1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
True Love = Agape. Agape (Ag-ah’-pay) is love devoid of selfishness. It is the love with which God loves us and it is the love with which God loves others through us.
- Agape is NOT “I love you because you are my brother, my countryman, or because we share some mutually important interests”
- Agape is NOT “I love you because you are the object of my physical desire, because you give (or can give) me pleasure”
- Agape is NOT “I love you because you are my child, my offspring, my seed”
- Agape IS “I love you because you are you, because you are God’s creation, made in His image… and that is sufficient for my love”
- Agape IS “I will be your friend… and my friendship is free. If there is any price to pay… I will pay it”
- Agape IS “God loving you through me”